maanantai 8. helmikuuta 2016

Screw paperless office


About the same time first personal computers started to appear people started talking about paperless office. Well, screw them. I like paper. Making sketches and notes on paper beats screens and even tablets still every single time. Including - no, especially when doing electronics design.


These are just a few I found on my desk, with notes for part footprint design, functionality placement and overall design. For footprint design I usually need to calculate specific coordinates, so printing out datasheet and calculating/drawing these on paper makes it easier (some datasheets are great on this regard, some close to useless). This one on top is fairly simple part and had most (but not all) information I needed already so there's just few numbers there.

Or take the paper with LQFP176 there; this processor (STM32 series) has a lot of functionality, some that can't be (easily) relocated (USB), some that offer few alternatives (most LCD pins, FMC, UARTs and SPI) and some with a lot of options (ADC and GPIO).

So I process in that order; first pick peripherals that must be at specific place and put them there. Then take next peripheral that has options and decide where to put them. And next and next - until last some random slow GPIOs can be placed where there is a just about any pin remaining (and these can be easily relocated if space runs out at some part of layout design.)

Markings on paper makes this process much easier than any paperless option. Can I place input GPIO on PA2? No, taken by peripheral, so maybe PC2 or some other port.

And there is absolutely nothing that beats thinking with sketchpad and pen on my hands and feet on my desk.

Screw paperless - you can have my A4s when you pry them out of my cold, dead fingers.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti