sunnuntai 13. huhtikuuta 2014

Quick update on "maps/tracker"





I've been working with Jolla (Sailfish OS) "sports tracker" / topographical map software on my spare time (which I unfortunately have very little, generally on late evenings when I'm already spent), and now I start to be quite happy with the map functionality. Maps can be browsed and loaded on-demand from the server, either simple topographical map with various scales (at the moment 1:10k, 1:20k, 1:40k and large-scale overview) and various data (topographical, aerial image, optionally with property borders and numbers).

Basic GPS route calculation support exists too, but apparently at the moment access to GPS requires either using "unofficial" QT APIs or digging into DBUS. I'm not very happy with first one, so until QtPositioning becomes officially available, DBUS it will be. Next I'll start trying to dig into it, but I don't expect fast progress since DBUS is completely foreign beast to me and there aren't examples of it for Sailfish available. It may take a few days (read: calendar weeks).

Some examples (yes, everything in Finnish, since only Finnish map data is available). The purple line in middle is (simulated) GPS track. I know, it doesn't show too well, either by shape or color. I'll try to work out better indication.

By pressing-and-holding on somewhere on map you open context menu. The location is also highlighted as "Point of Interest" (grey marker). You can store that location ("Lisää huomiopiste"), navigate to stored points ("Valitse huomiopiste"), delete one (if you opened menu on one), change map type ("Kartta-aineisto") or start tracking new route ("Aloite reitti"). Last item is "reload", primarily for debug purposes.



Now, the bad news. Maanmittauslaitos (National Land Survey Office of Finland) provides topographical data for free. However, since software has also access to non-free data (property borders and identification) I have to pay for data access to MML. (and unfortunately free data does not mix very well with non-free data, due to very different implementations). So I can't just give this software away. Sorry. But if you are interested let me know, we may be able to work something out.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti